What are the RMS new rules?
Learner drivers who complete a one hour structured driving lesson with a fully licenced driving instructor can record three hours in their Learner driver log book.
This change allows for a maximum of 10 driving tuition hours to be recorded as 30 hours.
In addition, learner drivers who are 25 or older will no longer be required to present a Learner driver log book prior to attempting the driving test.
For details or further information on this ruling, please contact us or visit the RMS website www.rms.nsw.gov.au
How do I get my learner licence?
You must obtain a NSW learner licence at the RMS before you can learn to drive.
- You need to pass a Driver’s Knowledge Test (DKT) and eyesight test.
- The DKT is a computer based road rules knowledge test. You have to answer 45 questions and answer correctly at least 41 to pass.
- You can attempt the DKT at any RMS office, if you fail you can retry.
- Once you passed the DKT, you will be issued with a Learner licence and Learner Driver Log book.
To practice your DKT test “click here”
What happens after obtaining my learner licence?
- You will be given a Learner Driver Log Book for you and your supervising driver(s) to record your driving experience.
- If you are under 25 years old, you will have to log at least 120 hours of supervising driving before you can attempt the driving test. If you are 25 or more, you will not need a Log Book.
- 120 hours of supervising driving does not mean 120 hours with an instructor, a family member or friend can supervise you and sign off your log book as well.
- However, 1 hour with a licensed instructor will count as 3 hours in your Log Book, up to 10 hours of actual driving lessons (counting for 30 hours in your Log Book).
Should I learn from my parents or from a driving Instructor?
You definitely should learn the basic with an instructor: Too often, a student can learn bad habits from their parents/friends and it can become very hard to get rid of those bad habits.
A professional trainer will teach you the proper techniques from the beginning and give you the discipline to perform automatically the multi tasks needed to drive safely whatever the conditions of the road or weather could be.
In betwen lessons with an instructor, you should practice with your parents/friends what you would have learnt in the lessons, this will enable you to learn a lot faster and to be extremely competent as well !
How long will the lesson be and how many will I need?
We recommend 2 hour lessons. In 2 hours you will have time to put into practice what your instructor explains. This will cut down the number of lessons needed, helping to reduce the overall cost.
We will assess each driver during the first lesson and give an estimate of how many lessons will be needed to pass the test or to be able to drive under family or friends supervision.
We will also advise on the best way how family and friends may help you with .
What to do on the test day?
Your driving test.
You will need to book a date and time with the RMS at the selected location, you can do it through internet: www.rms.nsw.gov.au/myrta/mytest/ or we can book it for you.
On the day you will need to bring with you:
- A filled in driver’s license application form.
- Your driving license.
- Your log book if you are under 25 years old.
- Your booking form.
The booking fee is $56.00 and the cost for issuing your licence: $56.00
Remember, keep calm on that day. We can support you till the end.
As explained in “Our prices”, we give you a refresher lesson of one hour just before taking you to the test, wait for you to complete the exam (about 40 minutes) and for your license to be ready before driving you home.
Our cost for this is $180.00